According to our Instagram account, I've found out that my favorite meal of the day, by far, is breakfast. There are very little limits on what you can make for breakfast - it can be savory, sweet, hot, cold, fresh or baked, quick or elaborate. I always have something on hand to make an amazing breakfast, and I relish every second of my morning routine.
I'll put on a pot of water for tea, then sit down and schedule out my day while happily chowing down on whatever I've dreamed up that day. Usually it's So Delicious greek yogurt and granola, or quick pancakes, or simple cereal and dried fruit, or a filling & nutritious smoothie...like I said, my love for breakfast knows no bounds.
These blueberry banana muffins are one delightful addition to my morning recipe repertoire. They come together so quickly and the ingredients are incredibly common so they could be made any time. They would be a great weekend family breakfast, unlike pancakes and waffles which you kind of have to babysit. The contrast of a crispy outside and a fluffy, soft inside is my favorite kind of baked good, as it reminds me so much of my mom's perfect zucchini bread. Best of all, look at them! They're a gorgeous golden brown, and rise beautifully. Try these yourself for an easy breakfast any day this week.
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup sugar
- seeds from 1/4 of a vanilla bean (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (such as almond or coconut)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and grease a large cupcake tray. We made six full-size muffins and six mini-muffins with this recipe.
- Mash together the bananas, sugar, vanilla, oil and milk.
- Sift in the flours, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into muffin cups until almost full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out semi-clean.